Friday 5 February 2016

WE KNOW BUT IGNORE...

Apart from being segmented by climatic conditions and cultural practices, Kenya is one country that you would think you have crossed the border only to realize that you are hundreds of miles away from the No-Man's land.

Of course, all that I am going to talk about is inherent and I want us to look at everything objectively and not in any way subjectively.

When you visit different parts of this country, a thought of Somalia would come into your head. When you go to the other side, you think you are in Tanzania. I mean, we are just extreme as Kenyans.

When you pay a visit to West Pokot for instance and happen to meet their herders, you will be in great shock.

Perhaps you will see a seventeen year old boy cleaning his gun without any hurry. His fellow herders will be some few distances away also with their weapons in hands. Here, you will immediately think of what you see on TV as Somalia.

Have I ever seen this near Eldoret town except with the Boinnet boys?

It is no longer a shocker to see Maasai men in their shukas and swords roaming about town with their reddish liquid in their hands.

I once carried a knife and traversed my village with it. I don't want to explain my experience in the hands of the local chief despite my dad being a well known and respected person in Chepkoilel village.

Somewhere in coast, young slow (I hear Coastarians are slow) men will will be standing in groups with banners chanting how 'Pwani Si Kenya'.

I swear some just want to be seen on television and be the village champions.

With their soft spoken Kiswahili, you may easily confuse them with some of the Tanzanian actors you once saw on a film and for a moment you will want to imagine you are in Tanzania.

Come to Busia, here you can not challenge me. I have been there personally. Who in Chepkoilel village doesn't know that the sister to my great great grandfather died in Busia?

I am not bragging anyway. What I want to say is, when you reach Busia, all the local liquor comes from Museveni's place.

My great great grandfather I mentioned earlier is said to have Married from Uganda and the bride came of foot, and she wasn't tired after all.

In Nairobi I hear life is totally different. I have never been to Nai, but I know God will make a way for me soon.

In Nairobi - from the tales of Fidelis - it is everybody for himself and God for us all. You are mugged in daylight and nobody cares. I will tell you about Fidelis later, the guy from my village who ran away from KU the other day. He's the one who assembles us for stories from Nai.

As diverse as we are as Kenyans the more our strength is. You may be wondering why I chose some parts of Kenya and ignored others. It is not my fault. Many of these places I just hear about them. I haven't been there.

We are all under the same government with our extreme behaviours. And we are one.

I LOVE KENYA.


By C Okay

No comments:

Post a Comment